The 150 air-mile agricultural commodity exemption to the federal hours of service (HOS) regulations allows your drivers to be exempt from keeping a duty status record under certain conditions. The ELD LogBook mobile app does not have a dedicated mode for applying this exemption. However, your drivers might be able to use one of the following options to apply the exemption to their HOS records.
Note: Ensure that you have permission from your motor carrier to use one of these options.
- Drivers can drive within the 150 air-mile radius of the source of the agricultural commodity they are transporting without being logged in to the ELD LogBook mobile app.
- When the drivers reach the 150 air-mile radius limit, they must log in to the ELD LogBook mobile app and start recording their driving time as normal.
- Vehicles record the driving time within the 150 air-mile radius as unidentified driving time. Drivers should reject this unidentified driving time in the ELD LogBook mobile app
- As an administrator, you need to mark the unidentified driving time as exempt and add an annotation stating that the driving time occurred while operating under the 150 air-mile agricultural commodity exemption. To do this:
- Go to the LogBook screen.
- Choose the Unidentified Miles tab.
- Make sure you are on the Unprocessed events tab.
- (Optional) Use the filter to select a fleet and data range to narrow down the list of unidentified driving events.
- Find the driving event you want to exempt, and click on the pencil icon next to it.
- In the dialog box, add a comment.
- Click Mark As Done. The unidentified driving event is moved to the Processed events tab.
- Drivers log in to the ELD LogBook mobile app and record their driving time as normal.
- Drivers add a comment to the HOS events that were created during the time when they were within the 150 air-mile radius of the source of the agricultural commodity. In the comment, drivers need to state that the driving time occurred while operating under the 150 air-mile agricultural commodity exemption. To do this, drivers can edit the appropriate HOS events.
- The annotation will mean that the FMCSA ignores any violations that might have occurred during the time that the drivers were driving within the 150 air-mile radius of the source of the agricultural commodity.
- If your drivers have permission from their motor carrier, they can be in Personal Use mode while they are driving within the 150 air-mile radius of the source of the agricultural commodity. To enable Personal Use for your drivers:
- Log in to Reveal.
- Select your account profile in the top right, then choose Admin in the drop-down menu.
- Under Drivers, choose Driver List.
- Find the driver in the list. To search, choose Would you like to search for a driver?
- Click the pencil icon to edit.
- Choose the Mobile Options tab.
- Under Enable tracking of, select the Personal use check box.
- Save the changes.
- When the drivers reach the 150 air-mile radius limit, they must exit Personal Use mode and start recording their driving time as normal.